Monday, November 1, 2010

Scott Mutter

I came across Scott Mutter while we were looking through photo books in digital editing class to get an idea of surreal photography. I love surreal photography and it's what I want to try and do in my projects aside from my job. What's interesting is that all of his work is done in the darkroom which proves surreal images can be achieved without photoshop. I couldn't find an actual blog but I found this site. These are my three favorite images from the site.


I believe this image is made out of three separate negatives (the man, the escalator and the ocean). The geometric composition leads your eye all around the image. It starts with the figure and then is led over to the column by the wave, then it follows up the column and down the line and back up the escalator. I love how the photographer was able to flawlessly edit these three images together to form a beautifully surreal result.


I believe this next image was created out of two different negatives. I love the way the artist plays with the scale of the images, making the street scene extremely small compared to that of the church. It gives off this illusion that makes the church look like a skyscraper in real life. These images are, once again, flawlessly edited together.


I believe this image was created using only two negatives as well. This photographer edits these images together amazingly. It looks as if the scene was truly taken from reality. The height of the buildings is repeated below in the verticality of the columns. The one flaw I see is the perspective of the ledge is a little off from the perspective of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment