Monday, October 25, 2010

Abelardo Morell

I'm going to focus on Morell's camera obscura and tent camera work because I fell in love with it when we visited the gallery NY. When I first walked in, I thought they were paintings because the textures looked like brush strokes. Then I looked on the back of the gallery card and it explained the process and I was amazed! He sets up a tent with a lens on top so that whatever the lens is pointed at is projected onto the ground inside the tent. The he photographs the ground. So that's why I'm focusing on these works specifically. You can find more of his work on his blog.


This image sort of explains how a camera obscura works. Morell most likely made this camera himself seeing as it's just a cardboard box with a lens. The repetition of the light bulb is interesting especially because the one inside the box is upside-down and a little bit larger. The overall tonal range of the image is amazing as well.


This was one of my favorite images from the exhibit! I love the texture of whatever material the image was projected on. I also love the fact that in all of these images, he uses what is actually on the ground rather than bringing his own textures into it which helps both the textures and and the image relate to each other. The one flaw I find in this image is the tripod leg. Why is it there?! It bothers the hell outta me! I don't know if he actually wanted it there or not but I don't see why he would! It's only in one of the others. I feel like if he really wanted it there he should've put a hint of it in all of them so it doesn't look so out of place.


This is also one of my favorite images in the series (the quality of this one is really crappy though). Once again, I love how the textures relate to the image itself. I also love how pretty much everything around the building is out of focus while the building is in focus. It really brings your attention to the building and allows for your eye to focus more on the textures around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment